Day 1

I really wanted to show you a bunch of photos of our finished (!?) bus and a happy family just about to set off but I can’t because it all got a bit panicy. Last night, everything was going swimmingly and we cracked open a bottle of champagne while I gaffad the PVC into place.
This morning, we just finished a few little final jobs, packed really well, then things went a bit wrong.
Jac’s 3 point seat belt went tight and fully retracted. I eventually loosened it but then we discovered that when the foams were on the back seat and jac was in his seat, the seatbelt was too short. The solution? Jac was riding shotgun upfront with daddy. Kate was in the back which didn’t go down well.
Oh, and the auxillary battery electrics just wasn’t working at all. No power to the tomtom, iPhones or iPod touches. My ICT had failed me. But using the mental dexterity akin to tom hanks in Apollo 13, I worked out a strategy to get us to the ferry by conserving battery energy without resorting to a map, god forbid. I also bought a volt meter and vowed never to leave myself in such a predicament again.
The good news? We had radio and an intermittent fan. When it went off I had to tickle it under the dash to turn it on which I quite liked. A thought crossed my mind to leave it like this as it was quite charming, but somewhere on the M1 I decided to do a quick fix. The lighter socket took one for the team and I connected one of our multi socket with USB things to the lighter wires. It smoked. Afterwards, I checked the voltage with my new volt meter and the wires were the wrong way round. 50 / 50 and I’d lost. I’d also bought a whistle to find my key ring that just kept going off. Like in playschool, it chose to go through the square window. Were we doomed to fail?
We were close to portsmouth. Only then I realised how well the bus was running. Yeah, the gears were tricky but the engine was running fine. We got to the ferry about an hour early. Perfect. Then the ferry was delayed for two hours.
Plan the dive. Dive the plan

Trackback URL

5 Comments on "Day 1"

  1. Simon
    20/08/2009 at 5:30 pm Permalink

    Oh Gwyn I am so jealous. I love the sound of your adventure – can I come next time. Perhaps I could be chief fan tickler. Did you install an additional leisure battery for your toys? Or can the alternator not manage 2? Happy sailing.

  2. ap (Gwyn's Dad)
    20/08/2009 at 5:51 pm Permalink


    You are an ace Being!

    I wonder where you are now!!!

    ap yer Dad


  3. Stewed
    21/08/2009 at 8:21 am Permalink

    Woo woo! Keep on truckin’!

    Are you in Spain yet.

    ¿dónde está mi burro?


  4. ap (Gwyn's Dad)
    21/08/2009 at 7:01 pm Permalink

    Lle ‘rwyti rwan?
    Wyt ti’n Sbaen eto?

    (Welsh – ‘Where are you now? Are you in Spain yet?)

    ap yer dad

  5. phil
    22/08/2009 at 11:33 am Permalink

    fantastic news that you reached the ferry congratulations
    now we can both enjoy your holiday

You must be logged in to post a comment.